One of my friends forwarded this story to me which perfectly makes sense when you look at the way IT has scaled in general. I am not sure if this was written by someone who was utterly frustrated but, I suppose everyone in IT can probably relate this to his / her world and find similarities in a way there are too many people who “manage” the things rather than actually “work” !
The story goes as follows,
Once upon a time the government with Ruling Party XYZ.. had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert.
Ruling Party XYZ Said.. – “Someone may steal from it at night.”
So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job. Then Ruling Party XYZ
– “How does the watchman do his job without instruction? ”
So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies. Then Ruling Party XYZ Said..,
– “How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?”
So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports. Then Ruling Party XYZ Said.. ,
– “How are these people going to get paid?”
So they created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, then hired two people. Then Ruling Party XYZ Said..,
– “Who will be accountable for all of these people?”
So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary. Then Ruling Party XYZ Said..,
– “We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost.”
So they lay off the night watchman.